Thursday, July 17, 2008

I finished the burial dress late Tues. night. I planned on adding embroidered flowers on the skirt of the dress, but couldn't find my embroidery floss. I do think it really needed something at the bottom, but I just didn't have time to look and spend more time on the dress. :(
I'm not entirely happy with the sleeves. My friend asked, after I had cut out short sleeves, to make them longer to cover the baby's little hands. I didn't have enough fabric to recut the sleeves so I cut the bottom in a bell shape sleeve and added it to the top. What I forgot was the top sleeve was meant to be gathered with elastic. I should have tapered the top sleeve down and then added the bottom sleeve. At least the mistake will allow the mom to easily slide the babies arms in, it sure does look a little funny though.


I like how the wrap turned out. The back and the top crossover are gathered at the skirt and the underneath crossover was sewn on straight without gathering. The skirts are just long rectangles. As I was putting it together I was wishing I had cut the skirts in an A-line shape instead of rectangles, but again did not have any more fabric to recut. I'm not sure that it really matters though, because the baby is so small I don't think it will make much of a difference.

While there are a couple of things I wish I could change, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, especially since I didn't really have a pattern, and I was deciding how to put it together while I was doing it. I told my friend if her cousin didn't like it that I wouldn't be hurt and would donate the dress to the NICU. My friend told me today that her cousin thought it was very pretty and wanted to keep it. The baby will be buried on Monday. My thoughts and prayers are with the family in this sad time.

4 comments:

Becky Jensen said...

that is really beautiful, mom thought so too. what a wonderful act of service!!

Unknown said...

That is a sad and sweet act of service, the kind of real charity that a family really appreciates. I know it comes from your heart.

Roderick family said...

That dress is so sweet. It was so nice of you to take the time to make it. Maybe you should start making blessing dresses too now! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks Christina!:)